Vinícius Jr. reported alleged racist abuse after celebrating his goal in Lisbon, prompting UEFA’s anti-racism protocol and sparking widespread condemnation

Topics covered
On February 17, 2026 the Champions League playoff between Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon was overshadowed by an incident that forced play to be halted. After scoring the decisive goal five minutes into the second half, Vinícius Júnior celebrated close to the crowd and then reported alleged racist remarks from a Benfica player to the referee, triggering the official anti-racism procedure.
The stadium moment became a focal point in debates about on-field conduct and institutional responses. Play was stopped for about ten minutes while the referee implemented UEFA’s measures for alleged discriminatory abuse. The episode left players, coaches and commentators openly discussing how football handles such allegations.
What happened on the pitch
The sequence started when Vinícius, the Brazil forward, produced a moment of individual skill that led to a goal in the 50th minute to give Real Madrid a 1-0 lead. While celebrating near the corner flag he was confronted by Argentine youth player Gianluca Prestianni, who appeared to cover his mouth with his shirt during the exchange.
Vinícius then approached referee François Letexier and indicated he had been the target of an offensive remark.
The official responded by making the well-known arms-crossed signal to activate UEFA’s anti-racism protocol. The match paused amid tense scenes as team staff and club representatives gathered on the touchline. Vinícius was visibly upset but ultimately continued the game after discussions with teammates and staff; Real Madrid went on to complete the 1-0 victory.
Immediate responses were strong and varied. Vinícius used social media to condemn the act, writing that “racists are cowards” and accusing the alleged perpetrator of trying to hide the insult. He also criticised how the protocol was applied, calling it “poorly implemented” and questioning the practicality of the intervention after he received a yellow card for his goal celebration.
Real Madrid staff expressed solidarity. Álvaro Arbeloa, part of Madrid’s coaching group, said the club would have left the field if the player had wanted to and insisted on zero tolerance for racism in football. Several teammates corroborated the account of nearby players who said they heard an offensive remark but noted that, despite abundant cameras, the exact words were not captured on video.
Benfica and Jose Mourinho
Benfica manager José Mourinho made comments suggesting the exchange might have been provoked, noting that players sometimes respond to celebrations. Those remarks drew criticism for appearing to suggest provocation could justify abusive language. Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf called Mourinho’s remarks a “big mistake,” arguing that no explanation can justify racial abuse.
Benfica players later said Prestianni characterised his words as routine on-field provocation and denied using racist language. Club and player statements gave a conflicting account of intent and content, leaving investigators and observers to weigh witness testimony alongside media footage.
Wider responses and implications
Prominent figures in football voiced dismay. Liverpool full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold described the moment as “a disgrace to football and society,” while French defender Aurélien Tchouaméni reiterated that team unity would have meant leaving the field if the player felt unable to continue. Kylian Mbappé and other teammates condemned the incident in strong terms, calling for meaningful consequences.
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) issued a statement supporting Vinícius, calling racism a crime that cannot be tolerated and praising the player’s decision to activate the protocol as “an example of courage and dignity.” The CBF pledged to remain involved in the fight against discrimination and to support legal and sporting avenues to address the matter.
Procedural and sporting follow-up
UEFA’s anti-racism protocol aims to provide an immediate framework for referees confronted with allegations of discriminatory abuse, from stadium announcements to temporary suspension of play. In this case the official followed the sequence that leads to a stoppage and investigation, while disciplinary bodies will review statements, footage and testimony to determine any further action.
Benfica and Real Madrid will meet again in the second leg at the Bernabéu, with the return fixture set for February 25, 2026. That match now carries an added layer of attention, as both clubs and governing bodies will be expected to demonstrate how allegations of racism are investigated and resolved within the sport.
Incidents like the one in Lisbon highlight the tension between passionate celebration and the need for respect. As the case proceeds through sporting and possibly legal channels, it remains a test of institutional resolve to ensure football is a space where abuse is neither accepted nor excused.




