×
google news

Hoax email warns of bombs and armed attacks at Antrim schools

A threatening email claimed explosives and armed attacks at several Antrim schools, prompting police inquiries and extra patrols

Hoax email warns of bombs and armed attacks at Antrim schools

The County Antrim area woke to alarm after a disturbing message circulated to a number of schools and some local businesses. The email, which police describe as a likely hoax, contained claims that multiple pipe bombs had been placed inside and outside school premises and warned that the sender would travel to the sites allegedly armed with guns and knives.

The note reportedly included contact details purportedly from the author and concluded with a line stating that “Antrim will remember this day.” Authorities linked the message to a separate false report of a multiple stabbing in the town, and the incidents were being examined together as part of a broader inquiry that began on Tuesday 19th May.

Reaction among families and staff was immediate. Several parents elected to keep children at home and schools communicated directly with families to explain their decisions. One school, St Benedict’s College in Randalstown, told parents that pupils would be kept indoors and that exterior doors would remain locked while the situation was assessed.

Although the school said the matter was not currently being treated as a serious threat, it stressed that the issue was being handled at a senior level and that staff would continue to follow all guidance issued by the PSNI. The Education Authority also confirmed it was liaising with schools and urged vigilance.

Police response and ongoing enquiries

The PSNI confirmed it received reports on Tuesday 19th May that an email had been distributed to multiple schools and businesses in the County Antrim area, and officers opened an investigation into the contents. Investigators are conducting a number of enquiries into the message, the claimed placement of devices and any links to the earlier false stabbing report. As part of the immediate response, police increased reassurance patrols across the affected communities to provide visible presence and reduce concern. Officers are also engaging directly with those who received the correspondence, including school leaders and local business owners, to offer advice and gather information to support the investigation.

How the public can help

Police are asking anyone with information to come forward and to report suspicious activity without delay. The PSNI advised the public to call 101 with relevant information, and to use 999 in an emergency. Members of the community are being encouraged to preserve any copies of the email or screenshots and to avoid sharing unverified material on social media, which can amplify concern. By cooperating with officers and providing any details about where the email originated or how it was shared, witnesses can help the investigation identify the sender and assess any actual risk to schools and businesses.

Political voices and community concern

Elected representatives from several parties expressed condemnation of the threatening correspondence while urging calm. South Antrim DUP MLA Trevor Clarke criticised those behind the message and asked that alarm not be raised unnecessarily, noting that the wording of the email raises questions. Sinn Féin assembly member Declan Kearney described the threats as reprehensible and welcomed the police probe and stepped-up patrols. Alliance assembly member John Blair said no child should be placed in such a situation, and SDLP councillor Roisin Lynch praised the prompt response from emergency services and schools and asked anyone with information to support the inquiry.

Balancing reassurance and vigilance

The public debate has focused on two priorities: avoiding needless panic while ensuring safety. Many parents voiced anxiety on social media and sought clarity from school leaders about closures and precautions. Local schools emphasised their commitment to student welfare and described the measures being taken, including keeping children indoors and maintaining secure entry points. Authorities reiterated that while the email is being treated as a suspicious and likely malicious communication, it remains imperative to remain vigilant. The Education Authority supported these steps and reiterated guidance for schools to follow police advice and report anything unusual.

School measures and next steps

Individual institutions took practical steps immediately after receiving the message: doors were locked, outdoor activities cancelled, and pupils remained supervised indoors until further guidance was available. St Benedict’s College and other schools said they would continue to monitor updates from the PSNI and would inform parents of any changes. Police enquiries continue to try to establish the origin of the email and whether there is any credible threat behind the claims. In the meantime, local authorities have stressed the importance of following official guidance, preserving evidence, and reporting concerns via the appropriate channels so investigators can focus on identifying and holding accountable those responsible for the disturbing hoax.


Contacts:
Henry Anderson

Henry Anderson of Edinburgh, sharp-corporate in demeanour, famously argued to run a council budget deep-dive after a packed Holyrood briefing, choosing public-accountability over easy headlines. Prefers evidence-led interrogation of institutions and collects annotated maps of the Lothians as a private quirk.