A man fired at a security post near the White House and was shot dead by Secret Service agents; the president was unharmed and an investigation is underway

The events unfolded in the early evening when a man approached a protective post at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue and drew a handgun from a bag. Witnesses and reporters on the White House grounds heard an intense volley of shots, with Al Jazeera correspondent Kimberly Halkett saying she counted more than 30 shots emanating from the North Lawn.
Secret Service agents stationed at the checkpoint returned fire. The suspect was struck and later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. A bystander was also hit and received medical attention.
Authorities immediately restricted access to the area and placed the presidential complex under an emergency lockdown, a temporary measure that suspends routine entry and exit while security officials secure the scene.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time and was not injured. Officials reported that no Secret Service personnel were wounded in the incident. Law enforcement sources say the suspect had been ordered to stay away from the vicinity but approached despite that restriction.
What happened at the checkpoint
According to a preliminary account from the Secret Service, the man concealed a weapon inside a bag and produced it when he reached the security post. Agents responded with gunfire, and the suspect was incapacitated during the exchange. The incident began near a public access point where officers routinely screen visitors and secure vehicular movement. Journalists then on the White House lawn were told to run to cover and shelter inside the briefing room, while police and National Guard personnel secured perimeter points and prevented further approach to the scene.
Casualties, timeline and immediate response
Wounded parties and medical steps
One bystander sustained a gunshot wound; officials have not confirmed whether that injury was caused by the suspect’s initial shots or by return fire from agents. The suspect was transported to George Washington Hospital where he was later declared dead. Law enforcement said no agents were injured. The rapid medical and tactical reaction reflects established protective protocols for the presidential complex and the surrounding public spaces, which prioritize immediate neutralization of threats and rapid medical care.
Statements from federal and political leaders
Several federal officials posted updates on social platforms. FBI Director Kash Patel said his agency had arrived to support the Secret Service and that more details would be provided as available. Markwayne Mullin, identified by authorities as the US Secretary of Homeland Security, said he was monitoring the situation and praised frontline officers, calling the shooting a reminder of the risks law enforcement faces. House Republicans and figures such as Steve Scalise offered messages saying the president was safe and noting the hazards of the moment. The White House communications team posted that the president was continuing his work that evening.
Ongoing investigation and context
Investigators have not released the suspect’s identity or a motive. The Secret Service said its examination of the scene is ongoing and that it is coordinating with the FBI and other agencies to assemble a complete timeline. Reporters at the scene said the suspect had been issued a stay-away order for the area shortly before arriving, a detail authorities are confirming as part of the probe. Officials continue to process evidence, interview witnesses, and review video to determine the precise sequence of actions.
Wider security concerns
This shooting follows an earlier security episode in which authorities described an attempted attack on the president at a separate event; that incident took place on April 25 when a suspect was arrested at a Washington hotel during a major gathering. Security officials say incidents like these raise questions about protective measures around high-profile events and demonstrate that threats can emerge quickly in public settings. The agencies involved are expected to brief the public as their review proceeds and more verified facts become available.
What remains unknown
Key unanswered questions include the suspect’s identity, the motive for approaching the checkpoint, and whether additional suspects or weapons were involved. The Secret Service emphasized that the investigation remains active and urged patience while agents and federal partners compile forensic results and witness statements. For now, the White House perimeter remains more tightly controlled as officials evaluate whether any adjustments to security posture are warranted.

