×
google news

Vandals set scoreboard on fire at Cardiff cricket club as damage mounts

Whitchurch Heath Cricket Club says daylight arson and other attacks have devastated volunteers and could cost up to £5,000

Vandals set scoreboard on fire at Cardiff cricket club as damage mounts

The Whitchurch Heath Cricket Club in Cardiff has described itself as devastated after vandals set the club scoreboard alight in broad daylight. Photographs shared by the club show flames consuming the board while the club reports that both of its pitch rollers were also seriously damaged in the same incident.

The club estimates repair and replacement costs could reach £5,000, a sum that would consume a significant portion of its annual operating income and hamper community activities.

Volunteers who run the club say the attack is the latest in a run of destructive episodes that have eroded morale and strained finances.

In a frank post the club declared, “Enough is enough,” and confirmed the matter has been passed to South Wales Police. The club has also kept a public fundraiser open to support planned improvements and centenary activities, and says it will continue to accept donations despite the setback.

The incident and the immediate response

According to club members, the blaze was noticed quickly and the on-site groundsman extinguished the fire before it could spread further, preventing even more extensive damage. Still, the loss of a functional scoreboard and the damage to both rollers represents a serious operational blow: those items are essential for match days, training sessions and lawn care. The club emphasises that as a volunteer-run organisation, hours of unpaid labour and modest donations keep the venue usable for players of all ages, so any destruction has an outsize effect on their calendar and capacity to host events.

On-site reaction and policing

Committee member Dave Reynolds, who played for the club for ten years, told local media the fire followed other targeted attacks on club property. He said the groundsman’s quick action was fortunate, but that these incidents are part of a worrying pattern. Damage limitation on the night prevented worse outcomes, yet the emotional toll on volunteers and the practical interruption to fixtures and coaching are clear. South Wales Police confirmed they are investigating reports of criminal damage at the ground reported on Monday evening ((May 18)).

A history of thefts and antisocial behaviour

Reynolds and fellow committee members outlined several earlier incidents that show a repetitive trend: sight-screens donated to the club were partially destroyed weeks earlier; benches purchased with club funds have been stolen; and a wooden fence installed to tidy the site had panels removed by people described by the club as wearing balaclavas. Each episode requires time and money to rectify, eroding the goodwill and resources that keep the club functioning as a community hub.

Why prevention has been difficult

The club has weighed and tried different security measures in response to these attacks. They previously installed CCTV, but Reynolds explained that cameras were targeted and smashed by intruders who then returned to steal what they could. That history, combined with a short-term lease on the site, has made it harder to secure steady funding or justify larger, permanent investments. As a result, routine protection and upgrade projects are often delayed or scaled back.

Plans for recovery and appeals to the community

Despite being demoralised, the committee continues to pursue upgrades, including a new training facility that is already in the early stages of planning. However, recent vandalism has raised concerns about whether those improvements can be protected and sustained. The club stresses that expansion of junior coaching and the development of a women’s section depend on the community’s continued support. For a volunteer organisation, each donation and hour of help translates directly into safe, structured opportunities for local people.

Funding and next steps

The club’s leadership says it will press on with its fundraiser ahead of centenary activities, asking local residents and former members to help shoulder recovery costs. The estimated £5,000 shortfall highlights why the appeal remains open: without outside support, the club risks diverting funds from coaching, maintenance and planned growth. Volunteers urge anyone with information about the attacks to contact South Wales Police, while the club seeks to rebuild damaged equipment and restore a sense of security to the ground.


Contacts:
Roberto Capelli

Roberto Capelli, from Milan, recorded data from a company canteen during an investigation into workplace meals; that epidemiological perspective shaped his editorial line, focused on measured food choices. In the newsroom he champions scientific clarity and keeps handwritten light recipes.